Thursday, August 4, 2011

Organic -Part 3- Where to Start-

First Read:

Now that you know why you should consider it, and assuming you've [at least mentally] gotten over some of the hurdles...now...where do you start?


Baby step suggestions:
1. Change your dairy [like milk, yogurt, cheeses]
2. Change your meat [even if some, like turkey, are harder to find than others]
3. Change your produce [consider farmers markets or local services]
4. Change your dry goods [shop at different stores & buying their brand]

Dairy
The milk tastes different, but you get use to it. We don't drink raw milk [yet], but you can get milk & eggs locally as well. It's nice that regular grocery stores like Publix & Kroger are carrying their own brand of [cheaper] organic milk verses name brand like: Horizon. Stores are also carrying more "natural" cheeses, meaning they advertise less hormones, which is definitely better than regular. Google search for close co-ops in your area that you can get fresh milk or eggs from. Here is a list of co-op's for example.

Meat
I've saved a lot of money buying my organic beef from Costco or Sam's club. It's $12 for 3 lbs. Although, I think the most ideal is to buy from a local rancher, but we haven't done that yet. Here is a good place to get started.

We do, eat Charles' [organic] deers every year though. Chicken seems to be pricey wherever I look. I have found that Trader Joe's has well priced organic chicken, but in general this is the hardest thing I have buying organic because the price difference is almost triple. Unfortunately, this is also the item I end up throwing away most times too...poor meal planning and fresh chicken that expires quickly equal bad combination. Some families who switch just eat less meat to save on costs. This would never work for my carnivorous husband.

[my farmers basket from this week...$20 for all organic...6 side dinner veggies & 4 fruit snacks]

Produce
Again, finding a local farmer or going to a farmers market saves you tons of money because they sell their organic produce for almost nothing. There are even services that deliver, or those you can go pick up. Even if it's not "organic" rest assured it's been treated better and traveled less than if you bought "regular" produce. Not all produce is as effected by pesticides as others. Here is a list. When I'm shopping, if I can't afford to buy all organic, I use this list. And I remind myself, I suppose pesticide full fruits at their worst are still more nutritionally dense than fruit snacks. [Maybe?, Ha!]



Dry Goods
Health food stores like Trader Joes & Whole foods carry their own organic brands in several items so I try to purchase these...like spaghetti sauce & noodles. You'd be surprised how much you save not buying name brand organic.

Again, I'm a hybrid mom, I do a little of this and a little of that...because that's my reality. I fantasize about homemade everything and collecting my own eggs and honey from my backyard [and yes maybe one day], but for now, I'm just doing my best and that's all you can do too.

I hope this post helped answer some questions or provoke some thought. Don't get down on yourself if you don't have time for all this right now, just "food for thought" and let the Lord lead you should you starting switching over in the future.

Also I recommend this blogthis Dr., and this movie.
And if you are interested in more information on Grocery Buying Clubs.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Publix Greenwise Chicken tends to be a little cheaper - especially for thighs and legs. Chicken breasts are typically $4.99 lb :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails