Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How to Naturally Treat [Cure] Thrush


Remedy:

For mom-- After every nursing swab nipples with vinegar [it may burn]. Some suggest one tablespoon in a cup of water, but I just put straight vinegar on my chest to save time. Then washed it off. Make fresh every time...either way.

For baby--After every nursing swab babies mouth with a cue tip with a mixture of equal parts baking soda & water on it. Make sure to get tongue, cheek and all gums. Again, make fresh every time. Some suggest one teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of water-mix-then put clean cue tip in mixture, but again, to save time I just mixed equal parts since a cue tip doesn't need much to wet it.

[You can do this before and after, or just after. I did both.]

I've gotten asked how to cure thrush more than once this month, so I thought I'd share my "secret" here. Even if you don't have a baby, or nurse, I'm sure you'll eventually run into a friend who needs this remedy, it's super simple and works like magic.

If you don't know what I'm even talking about...thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. It is most common in babies. You get it when yeast called Candida, normally found on the body, grows out of control. In babies, Candida causes thrush because babies' immune systems are not yet strong enough to control the growth of the yeast.

The most common symptoms of thrush are white patches that stick to the inside of the mouth and tongue. In babies, it is easy to mistake thrush for milk or formula. It looks like cottage cheese or milk curds. I decided against show you pictures of thrush, but have fun with google images.

Breast-feeding mothers can pass a yeast infection back and forth through nursing. Fun. Not so much. Moses, my third, was the first to have it. He got it when he was just a few weeks old. It was a bit scary because within hours of developing he refused to nurse the rest of the day [probably because of the pain]. Next thing I know, my chest is hurting so bad it feels like glass to nurse and I started to see a rash.

I knew that the treatment for mom and baby would involve strong medicines over a long course of time and I preferred a more natural approach. My midwife told me about a little home mixture that totally cured our thrush in 24 hours. In half that time it was 90% better. I've known people to have it up to two weeks on medications.

I don't completely understand the science behind it, but I've read that yeast can't live in the presence of vinegar and something to do with alkaline and acidic. I don't know, but it works!

7 comments:

  1. Good tip! How about how to cure 17month old constipation - my poor kid is SO uncomfortable right now and won't drink juice or any of the "unconstipate" foods :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure food grade coconut oil works well too. I put it on before nursing. It also works well for diaper rash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have known this when my little guy was nursing. I think he had it at total of 8 times (maybe even more) during his first year of nursing. The perscription medications seem to take forever to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wish someone had shared this with me a couple years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis is good stuff, I love natural treatments...Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another good treatment is gentian violet. It's all natural and quite effective. You can find it at healthfood stores, pharmacies, or online. It is dark purple and will stain--but you can get stains out with rubbing alcohol. Turns baby's mouth and mom's nipples dark purple too, but it takes care of the yeast without prescription medications. Great post, Candra!
    --Dianna Renz

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 tbls brown sugar in 4 oz of water for constipation up to 3 times a day

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails