Monday, March 7, 2011

Green vs. McDonald's


One of my goals this year was to eat out less, especially taking the kids through fast food less. Nation, my first born, was never exposed to fast food...but come kid two and three and they know to start saying "french fries" when we round the corner at the drive-thru. Not going through McDonald's this year wasn't exactly a specific goal, but in the back of my mind it was. I can honestly say I don't think we've been through once this year. 

How?

I bought some storage containers [in fun colors!] to motivate me to take sack lunches more often. I bought the above items from The Container Store [which if you've never been is like organizational afterlife]. These are Sistema

Dishwasher/Microwave/Freezer Safe. BPA Free & Stackable. 

The lunch cube to-go holds a sandwich & two "sides".

I also bought LunchSkins as an alternative to Ziplocs for three reasons:

a. tired of spending money on Ziplocs
b. these come in amazing colors & prints
c. they're reusable  ["green"]

You might also like to know they are:
  • certified food-safe fabric
  • hand sewn in the USA
  • dishwasher-safe
  • quick-drying, lightweight cotton fabric
  • replace hundreds of plastic baggies
  • lead-free, bpa-free and phthalate-free

Not only did we enjoy 2 hours of sunshine at the park, but we ate healthy while saving money and by far were the cutest three boys at park. I mean swinging monkey-in-the-middle-Moses was just too much for me!




8 comments:

  1. those are nice looking lunch containers.
    Let me know how those 'baggies' are to clean. I have thought about them, but cleaning them seemed like it might be not fun.

    and I can proudly say I have not been to McDonalds in MANY MANY year! (Can't stand their food- so I frequent Taco Bell and Burger King for the boys)
    I wish my men did less pizza, esp nasty Little Caesars! but my husband buys it once a week for them! he is in charge I guess. I wish I could talk him into once a month.

    -Kimberly
    http://kabersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so buying some of these!!! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there a divider to separate the sandwich and the sides?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly: yes, one side fits like a sandwich, the other side fits two items [divider in the middle] then you fold on on top of the other and there is a separater. That probably makes no sense, but to make it simple...your sandwich does not touch your sides.

    And so far so good in the dishwasher, but honestly I don't wash them a lot because I use them a lot for dry snacks so it's just crumbs, etc. I'll let you know how leak protect they are when I put fruit in them, etc.

    Mommy R: yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned how to make reusable snack baggies last year, and making more has been on my to-do list for a looooong time. Thanks for the reminder!

    And I'm glad I read this AFTER we made a rare trip thru the Checker's drive thru last night for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, I'm still sure Checker's is better than McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those lunch containers. They would be great for the zoo and pool... off to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound great. I had been reading about reusable "ziploc" style bags. The ones I looked at had bad reviews because of the velcro. Let me know how yours hold up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails