Monday, February 7, 2011

What A Peaceful House Smells Like


Is it just me or is there a never ending struggle between "getting it all done" and still being someone everyone wants to be around at the end of the day? I feel like I have to choose between The Peaceful Mom and The Accomplished Mom. 
I know my house should be in order and on the other hand I know the fruit of the spirit is peace. On my hand I know a messy house is a chaotic house, but on the other hand I know the fragrance of the Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace, and joy
I think it's a bit ridiculous that dishes, laundry, and house chores should overwhelm one so much at home with three under 4. Isn't there more to life? Isn't there more I'm called to? How can I stretch my hands out to the poor when they are always in a pile of dishes? If my hands [and heart] can't handle my own home...how can they handle someone else's?
***
"The foolish woman, for the pleasure of the moment, is tearing down her house with her own hands. The wise woman of Proverbs 31 does not eat the bread of idleness but this foolish woman consumes it. The word "idle" means "to lean idle, having no value, use, or significance". The root word "idle" means "to burn or shine" either in the sense of "only apparent" or "burned out". "Bread" is "food, especially grain for making it". Another word for idleness is indolence. Indolence means "disliking or avoiding work"." -Sue Becker 
***
I'm currently in the process of improving the aroma of our house. Adding a new mobile member to the house, moving, trying to lose weight, and growing closer to full time homeschooling of our oldest is nudging me closer towards a improved redolence. I don't want to be a woman of idleness, but I also don't want to be a anxious woman of a well kept home.
I want a clean house. I want lovely meals. I want perfectly taught and trained children. I want an empty laundry hamper. But...what I want...what I believe God wants...even more so than all that---is a peaceful house.
A house where my husband and children want to be. I feel like 90% of that is what you can see, but I'm beginning to think it's 90% of what you can't see. 
My heart. My attitude. My patience. My peace. My joy. 
I'm asking the Lord to blend the two tasks before us...a well kept house and a well kept heart. I'm starting to think you can't have one without the other. 

I'm starting with the heart.
Next...the house.
You?

10 comments:

  1. I think starting with the heart is perfect... everything else will fall in line from there.

    joy & blessings,
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, starting with the heart and the other things will follow. I wise friend always told me that if I keep my husband happy in the marriage bed that he'll never notice the mess around the house ;) So I'd say after maintain your heart would be meeting your husbands needs and then the children and home follow that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LivingFree...to quote my husband upon reading that

    "words of wisdom"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly how I feel today! Thanks for putting it into words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey there! I am following your blog, visit and follow mine 2! tnx. nice blog anyway.
    http://clavsupclose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect timing on this blog! this morning i got up to a messy house and two fussy kids and i figured i could either clean and let them fuss or take care of them and let the house go. but the LORD reminded me of my other option. spend some time with Him. and that time made the other two options seem less...frantically important. you know? so. it's a good day. some9not much...haha) of the house work got done. and i colored and played with bubbles and nursed patiently too. neither is perfect and complete but jesus joined us today, and that made it all good. i'm so thankful for the power of the Spirit in everyday moments. amen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. uch a good word, Candra. You are wise beyond your years, my friend! All in balance when you keep Him first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What adorable children you have--could not be any cuter!!! Sounds like you are a busy Mom. Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah thanks for that. Was one of those things I needed to, but maybe didn't want to so much hear today! God is good~ & so off to repair what I tore down & build up what God has set before me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree w/your last blog...I think the 'church-y' word for what you want/crave is sanctification-- it's a life-long process. And yes, if we manage to have a clean house while screaming at our children or ignoring them or our spouse, then it's for naught and everyone will know-- the foolish woman tears her house down with her OWN hands-- that verse in Proverbs makes my gut fill w/cold fear. The foolish woman doesn't even realize she's doing it, I think...I fear...

    Dear God, may we not be foolish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails