Saturday, August 1, 2015

5 Things I've Learned Blogging for 5 Years



In 5 years...

667,412 views
612 posts


Can you tell when I started homeschooling? aka #timeforwritingkiller

I tried to write every day during the fall of 2010, and through out the year in 2011, and in the summer and spring of 2012 before I officially started homeschooling. Obviously, it was either sleep or blog.

At first I chose blog, but then I felt a slight tinge of regret after being a cranky, overly tired teacher. I cut back to writing once a month, I missed it a lot, but wanted my family to always be first.

I kept the name "Curious Georgi" for almost 4 years, but finally bit the bullet and changed it to "Candra Georgi" as many bloggers and writers I know have gone from a cutesy name blog title to a blog title that has their name.

Ironically, [I am going to go out on an apple tree limb here and assume it has to do with the title I picked], my post Apple Bottom Genes had over 169,521 views! I'm going to assume "a few" from spam. Half a dozen other posts I have written each had tens of thousands of views each, those were mostly my Pinteresty My Father's World Kindergarten craft posts like M is for Moon & one post about how I met my husband

Probably the neatest thing that came out of writing, was I re-discovered a love for photography and out of that started a photography business! Who would have thought? Taking pictures for the blog each day, great my desire to improve my skills and one thing led to another and now I have a legit part time business. I love it. 


5 Things I've Learned Blogging In Five Years

1. Write What You Don't Want To
It's easy to blog about your accomplishments, but I've found that people have most respected and been ministered to when I write the raw, real, uncut truth. The things it's hard to write about because there is some potential judgement to be followed. However, I have found, it's less "how could you" and more "I'm right there with you".

2. Homeschool Daily or Blog Daily
You can not write a blog post everyday, or apparently even every week [and takes a short miracle to even every month] once you start homeschooling, unless you want to trade your sleep. I know this isn't true for everyone, it just so happen to be true for me. I take serious the responsibility to educate my kids, and it can't come second to anything. I love to write, but my time is limited these days, and so I do what I can, but my people come first, before you people. I say that in the nicest way possible.

3. Appearances Aren't Everything 
People will learn to see past your papyrus font, non-DSLR photos, grammar and lack of spelling skills if you are slightly funny and occasionally say something meaningful. Thank God!

4. Your Family Really Does Matter More
I mean, I love to minister to women, but my first ministry is to my family. First my husband, and then my kiddos. I will not have to give an account to God for all the women in cyber space I did not do a good job discipling, but I will have to give an account to the little disciples He gave me. It has been a struggle at times, but I am happy to report, I come back to this--- my family gets the first and best parts of my time, period.

5. Don't Reinvent The Wheel
If someone out there in cyber space has already done it, don't try to do it again. Find a new nitch, find a new corner, find something new to say. I could have blogged about all our homeschool weeks all these years, but you know there is already plenty of My Father's World or Classical Conversation blogs out there, but there isn't someone just like me out there sharing their heart... because I am the only me. Be you, write you, share you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails