Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How A Busy Mom Prays


This past weekend at a women's retreat the speaker spoke on prayer. I was very thankful as it is a subject I long to be better at, struggle to under the importance of, and feel like I have no time for.

She suggested we assign a subject for everyday of the week to guide and direct our prayer. We made a binder where we can write down the prayers [and answers!] and attach important information for helping us pray like: guides and specific prayers from books like Prayers That Avail Much or Power of a Praying Woman, Wife & Mother.

What I chose:

Sunday: Our church, it's leaders & The Church [all believers]
Monday: Husband
Tuesday: Kids
Wednesday: Extended Family
Thursday: Friends
Friday: Countries of the world [the lost, the persecuted, the church]
Saturday: Special Needs [specific situations that week that need extra attention]

As tempting as this is to scare me into "GREAT! One more thing I have to organize and do and check off", it actually made me feel like I might effectively get somewhere with my prayer. So often I'm so busy and just trying to survive [did I just say that?] that I completely neglect prayers, much less effective ones. This past Sunday was actually the first time I ever remember praying specifically for the leaders in my church. We've been going there for almost two years! How could I follow people I'm not at least weekly praying for and lifting up? Distraction! 

So now I feel like I have a plan, and even if I never or rarely pick up "THE binder" or the books, [although I hope to!] I am more mindful that "Oh yeah, it's Tuesday, I'm going to pray specifically for my kids today". It may be while standing over dishes, or driving kids to soccer, or even changing a diaper---but I'm mindful to pray effective prayers over my kids today.

I think we have to give ourselves some grace and be mindful that our quiet times/prayer times won't always look the way they do---especially if we've got several little ones running around us right now. God knows. But starting somewhere and having a plan, even if that is to pray over our kids while changing their diapers---it's more effective than doing nothing.


"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous [wo]man avails much." -James 5:16

"And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” -Matthew 22: 12

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7 


"Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him." -1 John 5: 14-15



What's prayer look like in your busy mom life? How do you do it? Suggestions?




6 comments:

  1. I have felt the exact. same. way. I can never seem to be consistent enough with designated quiet time, which makes my prayers feel ineffective. I love the idea of designating one day for a theme day, and just as I remember that, offering up a prayer.

    This entire issue is one reason I dedicated my site to prayer on Mondays. I really wanted the accountability to pray. If I'm posting about it each Monday, it reminds me to be praying for others and to not let it go "just this one day."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, I'm super excited about your Monday dealos---to which---I forgot!!!! Grrrr. Sorry. Yes, let's pray more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling... My prayers seem to get about a sentence in, then it's like... Ok God, hold that thought, I'll be back in a minute after I Find out which kid is yelling and why! Hahha - Faith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usualy pray when i am on the tread mill running. i pray for my family, kids, hubby, and patience (cause i need patience sooo bad!!), and i add something new every week. :) my kiddos don't bother me while i am on it, cause they are watching a movie...one that i know will keep them busy. ha! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wise mother taught me the beauty and importance of praying without ceasing as i move through each days tasks when i was a new mom with only one child. I like the idea of praying over different groups/areas each day and being a bit more intentional. A friend and I have committed to praying for each others school year and our childrens hearts this year. I love the Power of a Praying...books. My kids love when I read the prayers out loud..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails